ESD protection enhancement how-to
This how-to will guide you step by step to mount the Barix ESD protection enhancement springs.
The application of the springs will enhance the ESD protection by making a better connection between the shielding of the RS-232 connector and the device enclosure (aluminum housing). Note that this does NOT alter the insulation between device shielding and the internal ground (analog / digital signal ground).
To enlarge click on any of the photos.
Step 1: Preparation
Unpack the device and the springs. Place the device on the table with the rear plate facing up.
Step 2: Unscrewing the bolts
Use appropriate tools to unscrew the left and right Dsub bolts of the RS-232 connector. Place the bolts aside for mounting in the final steps.
Step 3: Placing the springs
Use pliers or a tweezer to place the springs in the slot between the RS-232 connector and the enclosure.
- The bent part with the screw hole must be placed facing up!
- Place the spring to fit the screw hole for easy mounting of the bolts.
- Production tolerances might prevent you from placing both spring which is ok as long as one spring is touching the enclosure.
Step 4: Screwing back on the bolts
Use appropriate tools to screw back on the left and right Dsub bolts of the RS-232 connector.
- Place both bolts in loosely before tightening them!
- Tighten both bolts to prevent accidental untightening.